Re: Springs & Shocks

To: bob.lindberg@ualberta.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Springs & Shocks
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:09:21 EST
In a message dated 00-03-20 15:22:41 EST, bob.lindberg@ualberta.ca writes:

<< My dilemma:

Bob,

Here's my thoughts based on what I'm doing or planning to do with my 6....

 1) Reinstall original springs?  How does one determine if there is still
 sufficient "spring" to the spring?

*** I'm installing new non-competiton springs all around - the
non-competition springs aren't that expensive.....after 25 years of faithful
service, why fuss over their "springability" of old springs.  There is
probably a way to check the springs while off the car....maybe someone else
could help you on that question

 2) Replace with new original equipment springs?

*** Yes

 3) Replace with uprated springs?
 Additionally, shocks have to be replaced.  My rear levers are toast as are
 the front tubes.
 4) Convert rear to tube shocks

*** Well, I'm staying with dampers because of aesthetics and because, with
some minor revalving, I think they'll be fine

 5) Replace original levers with uprated levers

*** Hmmm, if uprating the dampers is the same as increasing firmness during
revalving then I am uprating the levers.

 6) Have original levers revalved?  Anyone up here in the Great White North
 have shocks revalved?  Is this a viable option?

*** Looks like I answered this one:)

Good luck...let us know what you decide.

Chip

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spitfire Mk3 FDU78512L (ready for another driving season)