Springs & Shocks

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Springs & Shocks
From: Lindberg Bob <bob.lindberg@ualberta.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 13:21:40 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
List

Thanks to Fred, David, Kevin, Al and all who e-mailed me directly and
welcomed me to the list.  My 75-6 is sitting in two parts in my garage.  The
tub is sitting on stands with new fenders (wings) all around, new rear
valance, repaired front valance, new rocker panels (inside and out) and
repaired floor pans.  The frame is sitting in the other stall and has been
blasted and painted.  Most all attachments are also cleaned and painted or
renewed and have been reattached.  I hate to open up topics that have been
discussed many times before, however I have a dilemma and cannot make up my
mind.   I do not intend to rally or race the 6 but I do hope to end up with
a nice summer driver (eventually). All suspension bushes have been replaced
with poly.  My dilemma:
1) Reinstall original springs?  How does one determine if there is still
sufficient "spring" to the spring?
2) Replace with new original equipment springs?
3) Replace with uprated springs?
Additionally, shocks have to be replaced.  My rear levers are toast as are
the front tubes.
4) Convert rear to tube shocks
5) Replace original levers with uprated levers
6) Have original levers revalved?  Anyone up here in the Great White North
have shocks revalved?  Is this a viable option?
I admit I am nervous about installing uprated springs and shocks because of
the effect on the rear alignment although it does somewhat appeal to me
(lower stance).  I would be remiss not to consider options available.  Your
thoughts and opinions are valued.

Many thanks
Bob Lindberg
'75 - 6 CF27440