Re: TR6 backfiring question

To: fogbro1 <fogbro1@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 backfiring question
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:28:18 -0500
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Robert A. West" <RAWest69@sprynet.com> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by fogbro1
>"Robert A. West" wrote:

> ed, i have a question about my car. i was wondering if i could bend your
> ear about it. you seem very knowledgleible about the british line.
>
> it is a carb? question
>
> i backfire, thru my exhaust, only when the car is hot, or near
> overheating. only then.
>
> like i have been sitting in traffic. then i get to the mall, lets say,
> when i turn the car off. in about 2 seconds, i backfire.
> i rebuilt the carbs. but i did not change the needle and seat. people
> tell me that gas is leaking past the needle, into the hot carbon buildup
> on the ehaust valve area,   could this be true.
>
> it is a 76 tr6. zenith-stromberg cargs.
>
> if you cant, or dont want to help me , i understand.
> can you maybe direct me to someone who might know?
>
> thanks ,
>
> rob
<

Rob,

The Anti-Run-On system should prevent this.  It is a system that includes
the charcoal canister and a solenoid valve.  This equipment is mounted on
the right side of the radiator.  The system functions like this:

When the engine is shut off power is tuned on to the solenoid valve which
diverts mainfold vacuum to the charcoal canister which is connected via a
rubber hose to the float chambers in the carburettors.  The vacuum applied
to the float chambers will pull the petrol away from the jets and will
effectively stop the flow of gasoline so that the engine is pumping pure
air.

After the engine stops and the oil pressure goes away the solenoid valve is
shut off.  If this system were functioning properly you would not get the
afterburn you are now getting.

So my advice is to check out all the hose and electrical connections and
also check for the presence of all the components associated with this
system.

Good Luck

Dave