Re: TR3 help; removing guts from Diff. casing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 help; removing guts from Diff. casing
From: "O'Neil-Hess" <aephoto@netacc.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:37:26 -0500
My father made my case spreader from "junk" in the garage. We bought
threaded rod, nuts and washers from the hardward store. If you have
3/8" stock I think that is fine. My pieces are also about 2" - 2 1/2"
wide. I don't remember what the Churchill tool looks like, but weld
pieces of pipe to the ends of the spreader bars. This holds the rod
with the nuts on the inside to spread the bars apart. You also need
big pins to fit in the holes in the case. The pins do the spreading
work. the four bolts only keep the spreader from flying off under
tension. As I said in another post, tighten the nuts finger tight and
then very slowly tighten with a wrench, maybe one or two flats at a
time. Try to take the gear out. If it doesn't come, tighten another
flat and try again. you'll be surprised at how little it takes.

My TR3/4 spreader can also be used on MGB with slight modification.

Allen Hess