out for a spin...

Subject: out for a spin...
From: Steven Newell <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:41:42 -0700
So we had a beautiful Sunday morning, and despite the engine's poor condition I
take Ol Smokey out for a spin to our weekly [disc] golf outing. Pick up my
brother, and swing onto the on-ramp for C-470.

And then I literally spin, as the car loses it's grip and we slide 180 degrees
around onto the cinder berm. Quite a thrill for the minivan driver behind me, I
suppose. Perhaps I pushed into the turn like I was driving my old BMW, and maybe
there was residual sand or cinders from the last snow, and maybe the tires are a
bit hardened and I could use some nice new rubber. OR maybe it was that
oversteer I recall reading about in an ancient Road & Track?

In any case, the spin was a reminder to take care to learn the limits of this
car under controlled circumstances. And to further that effort, can anyone
suggest a good resource to learn more about performance handling? i.e. books on
autocross techniques, online writeups AFA vintage auto handling, etc. TIA.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO