Re: Rich carb

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Rich carb
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 01:39:08 -0700
David,

Check for black specs in the float chamber, but do it by carefully
pulling the bottom of the float chamber off while the carb is still on
the car (not having a Spit I assume this is possible).  Carefully dump
the gas in a white or yellow plastic container.  If you see ANY little
black specs then you either have rust coming through the fuel lines or
it could be varnish particles from the fuel system or more likely in the
carbs themselves.  If you have black specs slosh them around until you
can get one out with your finger, let it dry off a bit and then crush it
with your finger.  If the powder is a yellow-gold color then you've got
varnish particles.  Are your floats one solid color or do they look
mottled or discolored?  Does the bottom of your float chamber have ANY
yellow color to it?  If they are dirty then clean the floats (they
should be hanging out the bottom of the carb and accessible for
cleaning) and the bottom of the float chamber thoroughly, then clean
them again.  Use carb cleaner, Q-tips and toothpicks to get EVERYTHING
off.  Those little particles are flaking off from the yellow you see and
could be causing your needle valve to stick open which is causing
flooding which COULD be causing the symptoms you describe.  Do you also
have a rough idle too?

If you still have problems check the float chambers again because you
may be getting contaminated fuel from somewhere in the rest of the
system and you'll need to put in some extra fuel filters for awhile.
Try between the fuel pump and the carb first.  Try using a Fram G7404
fuel filter.  It's a big sucker but it's supposed to filter very fine
particles (down to 1 micron I'm told).  I'm using one on my TR6 now.  I
think they're for a 240Z originally but they have 5/16 fittings and can
be forced into 1/4 inch fuel line if you put a little gas on the
fittings.

Let me know how it comes out.

Good Luck
Bud Rolofson