(Fwd) RE: Polyurethane versus black rubber

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: (Fwd) RE: Polyurethane versus black rubber
From: "J.H. Roulleaux" <Jean.Rouleaux@skynet.be>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 17:43:04 +0200
Message text written by "Gary Coulter"
>Hello 6ers!
Everyone says that the poly is better, but I think I heard it discussed
that
they squeak(?) and need special lubrication.
Is this so? What do I need to be aware of in this respect?

<

Yes they do!  Ask me how I know.  Rubber bushings don't squeek because they
flex.  In other words as the control arm swings down the rubber attached to
the sleeve also pivots and the rubber stretches.  Poly doesn't stretch so
the sleeve must turn with in the poly bushing.

Some folks use antiseize lubricant to avoid the squeeking.  I am assembling
a TR8 with poly bushings and I lubed them with a silicone grease.  Once I
get it on the ground and on the road I will report on the effectiveness of
silicone grease.  Wish I did that on the 6.

Dave
Hi all,
I have poly bushes on my six now for 3 years and they never
squeaked. Yes I know its rather wet in my area but poly bushes
mounted with copper-grease will not make a sound.
I hate a noisy suspension.
Salut a la prochaine.
Jean