TR3 Caliper Shims

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Caliper Shims
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:12:40 EST
<<I'm trying to put the brake calipers back on my '59 TR3A after a front end
rebuild. When I took them off, the passenger side had 3 of those bow-tie
shaped shims between the caliper and the mounting plate. The drivers side
had only one. Are these necessary? What are they for? Why 3 on one side and
one on the other? What if I don't put them back? If I do put them back,
should I have 3 on one side and 1 on the other? Why? If I do put them back,
how in the world do I DO that??! Been trying; can't get it done.>>

Michael,
I believe those 'bow-tie' shims are for special Friday night outings!! no
really - I think they are for 'centering' the brake caliper over the brake
rotor. I've seen 'em in the Moss parts catalogues but my TR4 never seemed to
have 'em...although I do have to buy new rotors as mine are under specs and
maybe they won't 'center' as well as the old rotors did. Good Luck
Carl
'64TR4 since '74