Re: Whither the future of Rover? (An opinion from the inside, long - no

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Whither the future of Rover? (An opinion from the inside, long - no Triumph)
From: Gerhard.Wiederholl@t-online.de (Gerhard Wiederholl)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 19:29:24 +0200
scott s. schrieb:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 17:57:46 +0100, John Macartney wrote:
>
> >As things stand and when the dust starts to settle later in the year
> or at the most, a
> >year from now, I am strictly personally of the view that BMW will
> not still be on its own.
> >I greatly suspect that it too will have fallen victim to Ford or GM.
> >

> I have seen some speculation over here about a possible
> VW-BMW link-up.  This comes from folks trying to
> understand the meaning (if any) of what is going on with
> the Rolls/Bentley marque.  I don't know how those fit into
> the equation with Rover.
>
> scott s.
> .

VW or much rather Mr. Piech wanted to buy Rolls Royce some years ago. BMW
wanted
to buy RR too, and VW won. But not really. VW got just the factories and the
rights for the Bently marque and  they may use the Rolls Royce name just until
2003. In 2003 the Rolls Royce marque (cars)and the name rights will be
completly
in the hands of BMW, leaving VW with the Bently marque and the old RR/Bently
factories. This was a coup of ex BMW boss Pischetsrieder. Mr. Piech tried hard
to get the rest of RR ever since. Now might be the right time to buy the BMW
shares from the Quant family, provided that they are willing to sell. If VW
gets
BMW, they will also get the rights for RR.

BMW is planning to make all new Rolls Royce cars in a new factory. Magazins
report that experts are already warning BMW to do this after the Rover
disaster.
They are the bad ones and the target for the British newspapers now which would
not help reducing the risks of this project. And an other belly landing in
England could make them real problems.

G. Wiederholl