Re: taper fit (was Re. 3 Questions, little LBC)

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: taper fit (was Re. 3 Questions, little LBC)
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 20:23:47 -0700
Malcolm :

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'real world', but how 'bout :

Rear hubs on a TR (why do you think they're such a b*tch to get off
<g>).

Tie rod ends on every car I've owned (including TRs).

Pitman arms on every car I've owned that had one (including TRs).

Ground glass stoppers on lab flasks.

Taper pins (offhand I can count 6 on my TR, not counting the pin that
located the dizzy drive gear to the shaft, which I've replaced with a
roll pin).

And the most interesting (to me <g>) : old fashioned cast iron boilers
were cast in sections, with the sections connected only by taper
fittings, no threads (at least in Britain, not sure about US boilers).
At least some steam radiators (like for home heating) were also made
that way.

There are of course many sizes of Morse taper, and Jacobs taper, and
others I don't remember the name of ...

Randall