Ugly noise from TR7

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ugly noise from TR7
From: "Dave Rupert"<dave_rupert@codl.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:43:53 -0500
     Fellow listers,

     I recently managed to total my Honda daily driver, which forced me to
     press the 1980 TR7 into daily use.  Of course, two days after I
     started this plan, extremely ugly and expensive noises started
     eminating from under the hood.  Sounded like someone was taking a die
     grinder to a small mammal.  The noises only kicked in above idle rpms.

     My first thought was either the alternator bearings or the water pump
     (or possibly the clutch, but I don't think so).  I removed the fan
     belt and ran the engine briefly, and the squealing/grinding sound was
     gone.  Now is the point where I am unsure how to proceed.

     The alternator was rebuilt by a very good shop two years ago, and
     spins freely and silently with no side play in the pulley.  I'm
     starting to suspect the viscous coupling on the fan pulley. The thing
     that's holding me up is the water pump.

     On my older TR's, the top pulley drives the water pump, so if the belt
     is off, the water pump is not turning.  I'm not so sure on the TR7
     motor.  From the looks of the Bentley manual, the water pump is gear
     driven by a jackshaft, and has nothing to do with the fan belt or the
     pulley.  Hence, removing the belt and having the noise disappear would
     say that the problem is not with the water pump, since the pump would
     still be working.  Am I correct?  If so, has anyone heard of a
     situation where the fan pulley/viscous coupling made horrible grinding
     and squealing noises?

     Please respond directly, as I'm only on the digest these days.  Also,
     if anyone has a spare fan pulley/viscous coupling you could part with
     for a nominal fee, I'd be greatly appreciative.

     Thanks one and all,

     Dave Rupert

     1957 TR3
     1967 TR4A