RE: What's Happening to the Paint?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What's Happening to the Paint?
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:04:14 -0700charset="Windows-1252"
Cc: <rdanielson@is.snet.net>
>From: "Bob Danielson" <rdanielson@is.snet.net>
>Subject: RE: What's Happening to the Paint?

>Doesn't Zymol encourage you to spread it on with your hand............. no
>cloth.......... just your hand. Something about feeling the paint better
and
>being one with your car........ a kinda Zen thing!! I believe they're HQ'd
>here in Connecticut and were written up a few years ago as a super premium
>product.

Amazingly, _Consumer Reports_ just arrived in my mailbox with a major test
of car polishes.  Zymol "Cleaner Wax" is rated #1.  They also found that
durability is not increased by the use of separate step products, but that
they gave the finishes "a deeper, richer appearance" (speaking of Mother's
California Gold and Meguiar's Deep Crystal System).  But first they said
that these (mult-step) products "made the finish gleam, but no more so than
the best one-step polishes."  Seems like a contradiction to me.  Well, it's
_Consumer Reports_ and we take it with a grain of salt.

The best idea I've heard so far (from a detail shop) about my re-appearing
ghost spots (only visible under strong reflected light!!) is to find a
professional polish (or wax) that doesn't build up on the finish, then use
it once a week.  Apparently, I'll not wear out the paint by doing
this---although (puff! puff!) I think once a month ought to be sufficient
for a car kept in the garage most of the time.  They also warned against
polymer sealants/protectants, saying that paint (especially repaints) ought
to be allowed to breath, because solvents or acids (or whatever) can
continue to be expelled for years.

Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com