Re: Rover today - TODAY

Subject: Re: Rover today - TODAY
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:21:16 +0100charset="Windows-1252"
>Would the demise of Rover be the end of BMIHT Jonmac?

I sincerely hope not. While BMIHT is a Rover subsidiary, no-one could claim it
is a
fundamental part of the Group's current manufacturing and trading process. In
that
respect, one might almost regard it as one very little sausage in the middle of
a herd of
prime beef. As a museum entity and with an archive that probably doesn't come
anywhere
near anything else in the world in terms of what it contains, I would be
staggered to see
it closed down and broken up. Moreover, the car collection and archive is part
of a Trust
and a registered charity, so this brings in interesting and possibly very
different legal
situations. TTHBOMK, BMW itself is very unwilling to see the collection
disbanded. From an
operating cost angle, the museum overhead and all within it is peanuts in
comparison to
the costs presently being faced by the parent group. For all of us at BMIHT,
it's
"business as usual" and I suspect our possible removal from the premises (if it
ever came
to that) would be at gunpoint. I'm actively considering welding myself to the
main gate to
ensure no-one runs off with the family silver :)

Jonmac