TR6 Carb/Stromberg question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Carb/Stromberg question
From: Crazeecooter@aol.com
Date: Mon May 01 07:48:42 2000
Listers:

I have been having a problem with my idle and keeping my car from dying because
of a broken choke cable.  I took the car in to the local british mechanic...he
replaced the choke cable, set the carbs, adjusted the timing etc.

The problem is...althought the car idles fine in the beginning...after driving
in traffic for a while if I am at signal or stop sign for an extended amount of
time...I can feel the car beginning to die again and slightly cough...it is not
a perfectly smooth idle.  I usually have to pull the choke out about .25-.5 of
an inch to keep the idle steady abouve 1000.

I pulled off the black twist tops off each carb (Strombergs) and noticed that
it was bone dry in there.  Since I have always been told that there should be a
little bit of oil in there...I poured some 10-30 (I know 20/50 is usually
used...but thats all the gas station had)  The car seems to idle better now and
has not died yet and the slight coughing seems to have minimized a bit.  Did I
fix it???  Could this have been the problem???  Or am I just hoping a little
too hard?

Jonathan.