TR6 Carb/Stromberg question

To: "'Triumph Digest List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Carb/Stromberg question
From: John Jacobsen-Watts <johnw@wrq.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 06:50:17 -0700 charset="iso-8859-1"
Jonathan:

If you know that the Tech. has done everything else right in the rebuild,
experiment with the oil in the dashpots (VERY surprised he MAY not have
filled the dashpots, but maybe you need to replace the needle adjusting
screw o-rings). I am taking a big leap here, but maybe the viscosity of the
oil you have is too light and, when hot, is like water. This might permit
too much air into the mixture (air valves rise a greater distance=more air?)
and thus cause the stall. However, I have heard of too rich a mixture doing
the same. I swap oil in the dashpots by pulling out (w/ hose) all of the
dashpot oil I can. Then I put a paper towel into each dashpot, the towel
having been twirled into a thin long cone. Stick that in the dashpot and go
have a beer. The towel will soak out everything else you have in there.

Replace with preferred fluid such that, AFTER letting all the oil settle to
the bottom of the dashpot, you can put the damper assembly in and it meets
resistance when the bottom thread is 1/4" above the top of the dashpot top.

Sorry not to be of more help here.

John
johnw@wrq.com