RE: Snapped-Off Bleeder

To: "'Cliff Davies'" <ads.holzher@sympatico.ca>, triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Snapped-Off Bleeder
From: "Westerdale, Bob" <bwesterdale@edax.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 17:17:28 -0400 charset="iso-8859-1"
Cliff-
        Front caliper bleed screws can be equally troublesome. Best
approach:  use a fine wire brush to clean off the crud near the nipple
threads. If available, use a little compressed air to clean out the hole in
the nipple ( watch that dust!) shoot a little bit of PB Blaster, Liquid
Wrench or similar sauce of last resort on the threads and down the nipple
orifice.  let it rest for a while, the longer the better.  Heat is not
particularly useful, as the calipers have already gone through a million
heat cycles and it is tough to get the calipers hot while the nipples are
cool, which is the optimal heat 'gradient' for loosening the bleeders...
Use a 6 point deep socket, I think it is 7/16" with a "T" bar if possible. (
the object here is to use only rotational force here, as the force normally
generated using a wrench or ratchet is not all directed at strictly
loosening the bleeder. ( Part of the effort with a wrench serves to push the
bleeder sideways...  hard to explain...)  Using the T bar, grab both sides
and try gently to turn the bleeder, your effort should be "on Axis".
gradually increase the force, checking periodically to see that the bleeder
isn't rounding off......  Some would say that some gentle persuasion with a
small hammer may loosen things a bit,  I've found it difficult to hit the
bleeder anywhere and not do damage.  Once you get it loose,  take it all the
way out, clean out the hole with Q-Tips and a bit of compressed air ( watch
that fluif spray!) and reinstall  the bleeder after cleaning.  Add a little
' Neva-seize' or equiv. to the threads ( only) and after bleeding, clean out
the bleeder orifice and put a little blob of hi temp silicone sealer on the
orifice to keep the moths out.
        If you do break off a bleeder, they can be drilled out, but be real
careful not to let the drill run all the way down to the bottom of the hole
where it will mess up the sealing surfaces  at the bottom of the bleeder
hole...
Good luck.
Bob Westerdale