RE: TR4A/6 "A" Type OD

Subject: RE: TR4A/6 "A" Type OD
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 14:19:12 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumphs (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jim :

Having just helped Dana Scott put an A-type OD into his 73 TR6 a few months
ago, I think I can speak with at least some authority.  The A-type OD
dropped right in, with the use of an early transmission mount.  No changes
to the crossmember were required, the later mount just unbolted from it.  It
did use different holes, so it's possible that later cars might need to have
the holes drilled.

There are certainly differences between the various years, it can get
complicated figuring what fits what and what pieces are required to make it
fit.  The 'V' shaped mount was used starting in 1973, but only the J-type OD
really required it.  To simplify (?) things, Triumph used a bracket to adapt
the new mount to the non-OD tailhousing, the tailhousing stayed the same.

However, the original question was whether an A-type OD transmission from a
TR4A (65-67) would fit into a 70 TR6, which would have been equipped with an
A-type anyway.  The answer is yes, with the addition of the right angle
speedo drive and appropriate wiring.  I believe most TR4As delivered in the
US did not have backup lights, so it may be necessary to add the backup
light switch to the trans top cover for a TR6 with backup lights.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver
Lakewood, CA