Re: Clutch Alignment question

Subject: Re: Clutch Alignment question
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 07:17:08 -0700
David Templeton wrote:

>  I have to replace the clutch on the spit-six this week and I was wondering
>  that I don't have an old input shaft to use as an alignment tool can I use
>  something else?  I used to own a Chev Camaro (way back when :-) ) and I
>  replaced the clutch in it. I aligned it using a 10" piece off an old broom
>  handle.  Can I use the same here???

You don't really NEED an alignment tool of any sort, though it'd be a
little easier.  But I had to face this problem (no tool) a while back
and here's how I delt with it:

Bolt on the pressure plate with the disc in place but leave the bolts
JUST loose enough so that the disc can still be moved around a little
under the pressure plate.  Now, find the large openings around the
pressure plate that allow you to feel the outer edge of the pressure
plate itself AND the outer edge of the disc.  Carefully feel around
these edges and adjust the position of the disc until the gap between
the edge of the pressure plate and the edge of the disc feels the
same all the way around, and use your fingers to push against the
edge of the disc where necessary to adjust its position.

I really would rather have used a proper tool, but as it turned out,
installing the gearbox after aligning the disc in this fashion was
easier than it EVER was using the tool. This is probably just dumb
luck, but I've done the clutch on the TR6 a number of times and
always used the tool and yet always struggled getting the gearbox in.
This time it went in the first time... unbelievable!

Good luck!

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6