Re:Rubber Acid Issue - Valid

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Rubber Acid Issue - Valid
From: "john Kossup" <johnek@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 09:04:36 EDT
I have only caught a part of this chain.  I am a fire Captain for a large
city fire department.  A few years back we recieved a fire marshals advisory
regarding "Viton" type rubber materials.  I cannot remember all of the
particulars but the jist of it was that in a car fire situation, with
extreme heat, the viton type rubber materials do decompose into a dangerous
acid type product.  My personal belief is that in the day to day aspect of
working on our LBC's we will not encounter sufficient heat to allow this
product to decompose, however having the above knowledge, just don't stay in
your car if its on fire !!!. Hope this helps.

J. Kossup
75 TR6