Re: Spray wand - compressor attachment question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spray wand - compressor attachment question
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 10:07:38 -0700

> How well do the inexpensive (saw a Campbell Housefield for $13)  spray wand
> compressor attachments (that siphon solvent) work.  The intended application
>is
> to wash down engine compartments and undersides of my current LBC and future
> project cars.  While I could drive my car to the local pressure wand style car
> wash, I certainly do not want to be laying on my back under the car hosing off
> the accumulated oil and grime - I can only imagine how filthy I would be
> afterwards and certainly not willing to get back into the car until I have
> showered and changed clothes.   Are these compressor spray wand attachments a
> functional, low cost substitute for a self contained pressure washer - a tool
> that I otherwise have no great need for and don't care to find a storage spot
> for.

They don't work that great at all (you get what you pay for- not much).
I have a Coleman one and it works well for making lots of noise and
steam (usually I use it with hot soapy water)  Normally what it does is
quits siponing 15 seconds after it starts to really work.

I had much more luck with the spray bombs of Degreaser/Solvent - spray
it onto the affected area, scrub with stiff bristle brush,
lather-rinse-repeat.  I avoided many headaches during a 'routine'
transmission filter replacement on my Chevette by cleaning with
biodegradable degreaser first.

Bear in mind that the gunk removed by these products usually isn't
environmentally safe at all - you might want to lay down some cardboard
or old bedsheets under the car to catch most of it.

--
----
To know that which you do not know, is the best.