TR6 Brakes siezing on Help!!

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Brakes siezing on Help!!
From: "Cameron Greig" <tr6greig@globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 14:12:34 +0100
Hi All

.On my way home last week
I stopped at a friends house for two mins to drop of some papers
and when I left the car seemed down on power.There was no pulling
left or right and the brakes seemed to stop the car just fine.Luckily
I was only half a mile from home once the car was under cover
I realised from the smell and heat that bother front callipers had
seized on.I left the car for a few hour to cool down after which
both callipers had freed themselves. I jacked up the car and found
after I applied the brakes it took a while for the callipers to return.
The only other difference I noticed was that the pedal had less
travel than normal

The master cylinder was new 4 months ago ( 1500miles) and I'm
using  standard fluid.

I removed the master cylinder striped it down,found nothing wrong
so reassembled and filled with fresh DOT 4. All was OK for a few
days but then the pedal started to harden after the brakes had been used
a few times.
Thing came to a head last night.The car had been sitting all day at work
in the sun.When I got in the car the pedal felt hard before I even started
the car.After driving only 2 miles I could feel the brakes catching.I
stopped the car and the fronts where tight.I then tried to move the car
a few feet to a more suitable location both the front wheels where seized
solid and the pedal was rock hard.I loosened the brake pipes for
both the front and rear brakes at the master cylinder and allowed a little
fluid to escape.Fluid came out both but not under pressure.This did
not release the front brakes.Next I removed a front wheel and opened
the bleed nipple.Again fluid flowed,but no apparent release of pressure.
The pedal was know softer and the front wheels free.I think the brakes
freed only because of the reduction of fluid and for some reason my
brakes are working on the limit of seizing and it only requires
a small increase in temperature to lock then on.
I did remove the servo when I replaced the master cylinder,this was
to repair the damaged paint.As far as I can see there is no adjustment
for the pedal,and I can't see what I could have missed out that would
reduce the travel.I don't think the flexible front hoses are the problem
because it's effecting both front brakes the same.

The only answer I have is to move over to DOT 5 and enjoy a spongy
pedal.

Any ideas

Cameron
71 TR6