J-type separation

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: J-type separation
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 21:42:10 -0500
Esteemed Triumphant ones,

I picked up a deal on a used J-type TR6 tranny, complete with brand new in a
box replacement O/D unit. The seller attempted to separate the old J-type
but couldn't get it apart. I've had to pump up the pressure on one once
before when I forgot to shut it off engaged so I know the drill. The seller
said he did this correctly. My question is, since I can't remember, how far
apart does the unit separate before it jams up when removed un-engaged? This
one is about 3/4" and I'm wondering if that is in fact the problem or is it
some other malady?

Bob Kramer
TR6, TR4A, 2.5 Saloon
rgk@flash.net