72 Spitfire GBox questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 72 Spitfire GBox questions
From: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 22:23:40 EDT
Listers,
I have the gearbox out and I'm contemplating opening it up myself.  When the
car was running, second gear was a problem, it wouldn't stay.  At first, you
had to hold it in gear but as time went on, you couldn't even hold it in
place.  I have NEVER rebuilt a manual tranny before but there's no time like
the present to learn.  I was a certified mechanic and I'm not really fearing
anything but wondering if there anything I should know about before digging
up the shop manual, studying and jumping in?  Has anyone else had this
problem or done this? I already know the answer to that one but I'm not sure
how much it would cost   to ship it there from L.A.  Besides, if I don't do
it myself, I'll never learn anything, will I?  Thanks for any help.

        Michael