TR4A: dismantling tranny

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A: dismantling tranny
From: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 22:23:22 -0400
Well, I got the broken clutch fork pin out.  What a mess.  I may have to
buy a new shaft, between the pin and my drill the hole isn't round anymore.

I'm stuck at removing the rear half of the mainshaft from the case.  The
middle main bearing is still on the mainshaft, and it is tight.  I've beat
on the end of the shaft (with my lead hammer) as hard as I dare and it
isn't budging.  Others had said that the mainshaft can be driven forward
through the bearing a little, then a suitable bit can be inserted between
the bearing and first gear, then drive the mainshaft backwards to get the
bearing out of the case.  Its a good approach, but assumes that the inner
bearing race will move along the mainshaft.

I don't really want to heat the bearing with the torch.  I've looked at the
tool illustrated in the manual, I suppose I could make one but that will be
a lot of work.

Anyone got any good ideas about how I can free the inner bearing race from
the mainshaft?  I'd appreciate it.

Cliff Hansen
chansen@access1.net
1966 TR-4A CTC 64615L