TR4A: dismantling tranny

To: Cliff Hansen <chansen@access1.net>
Subject: TR4A: dismantling tranny
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 07:38:54 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by Cliff Hansen
>I'm stuck at removing the rear half of the mainshaft from the case.  The
middle main bearing is still on the mainshaft, and it is tight.  I've beat
on the end of the shaft (with my lead hammer) as hard as I dare and it
isn't budging.  Others had said that the mainshaft can be driven forward
through the bearing a little, then a suitable bit can be inserted between
the bearing and first gear, then drive the mainshaft backwards to get the
bearing out of the case.  Its a good approach, but assumes that the inner
bearing race will move along the mainshaft.

<snip>

Anyone got any good ideas about how I can free the inner bearing race from
the mainshaft?  I'd appreciate it.
<

Beat it with a hammer.  You have to remove the input shaft (1st motion) and
the lay shaft.  The third motion (mainshaft) is pressed (or beaten) into
the bearing and must be pressed (or beaten) off of the bearing.  Several
dozen good healthy whacks with a large lead hammer will show the beginnings
of movement.

Once the mainshaft is free of the bearing the bearing can be removed from
the box without too much problem since the box is aluminium and the
mainshaft assy can be removed from the box.

Don't be shy.

Dave