Speaker "boom" box

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Speaker "boom" box
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 09:34:50 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Some of you have asked from time to time about a speaker box for your TR's.
 I had determined that it would be necessary to have the custom fitted one
for my Spitfire out for repairs for what I thought was a failing/separating
voice coil on my Woofer (turned out to be the coil cover becoming partially
separated from the cone, and rattling against it) so I assumed it would be
out of the car for awhile.  I figured I would be replacing the damaged
speaker, and already had a new Cerwin-Vega ready for the installation so
while I was in my local Wal-Mart looking for a few boating supplies I ran
across a small truck style "boom box" type system.  It's made by
Roadmaster, model number RTS3000, and cost me about $30!  I figured for
thirty bucks how bad could it be, and heck I'd only be using it for a
couple of days plus would have a nifty portable box if I ever needed one.
The box is a ported, grey acoustic carpet covered type with two 6.5 inch
woofers covered with black square grated metal speaker covers and horrible
orange foam surrounds on the speakers with two small tweeters at each end.
Claims to handle 300 watts, but I'm sure that's peak output - I can crank
it up to fairly decent levels on my system (200 watts RMS) without apparent
damage.
It fits quite handily on the rear parcel shelf area (where the custom box
normally sits) and actually doesn't sound too bad.  Granted it isn't as
good as the system I usually have in there but again, it doesn't have $300
worth of speakers, crossovers, and a custom made, ported box specifically
designed to fit in/on the parcel shelf.  It does however have a handy
carrying handle, and push in terminals for connecting to your amp so it
could disconnected *relatively* easily for locking in the trunk if so desired.
All in All it's not bad, certainly not concert hall quality, and your not
going to get door thumping bass (even with the bass at full, and the boost
on) but it is passable, plus for that price it won't break the bank. . .and
doesn't look half bad!

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)