Thanks & Not A Good Thing

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thanks & Not A Good Thing
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 20:18:45 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
First I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions at removing the
stains from the bellhousing of my gearbox.  I accomplished it with much wire
wheeling and sanding... as I wasn't keen to dismantle the gearbox to have it
bead blasted, just because it was stained.

Secondly, I got around to cleaning up lots of little items tonight and
started to replace some component assemblies.  One of which was the throw
out bearing, and throw out bearing sleeve (and anti-rotation pin).  Once
cleaned free of goop, I found excessive wear... wear to a degree I have
never seen on the a Triumph ToB sleeve before.  I took a photo of it (if you
care to take a look at it)...

http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg/pics/tob-sleeve-wear.jpg

There are four of these "dimples", each one located at ~ 30 degrees... 150
degrees, 210 degrees and 330 degrees on the sleeve.  Any ideas to why they
are wore in those areas?  And I'd guess that it did wear from a) lack of the
anti-rotation pin, and b) largely due to abuse of the clutch since 1974 (ie.
keeping in gear at stoplights, riding the clutch, etc).

More parts off to the scrap bucket!

Cheers,

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kmr@pil.net