Re: Fwd: TR6

To: millerls@ado13.com
Subject: Re: Fwd: TR6
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 11:24:43 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Larry :

I'm more of a TR3 person, but the TR6 is similar in this area.

The rockers receive oil at very low pressure from a cam bearing (the
rear one, I believe), through a passage that runs up through the block
and through the head, through a rocker pedestal (the rear one ?) and
down the inside of the rocker shaft, which is drilled to allow oil out
for each rocker.  It's not at all uncommon for this passage to become
partially or fully blocked with sludge, etc., and the oil is such low
pressure that it will not force the sludge out.  The engine has to be
pretty well disassembled to clean most of the passage, as it makes two
right angle turns inside the head.  However, the inside of the rocker
shaft, the pedestal, and part of the passage in the head can be cleaned
without too much disassembly.

The only alternative that I'm aware of is a tube that can be added from
an oil gallery to a bolt on the back of the head.  It's available from
most vendors, Moss's part number is 821-360.  However, it leads to
problems of it's own, typically including increased oil burning and
leaks.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver