GT6 gearbox

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 gearbox
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:25:15 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Good morning Listers

Okay, I have taken the interior out and undone all of the bolts from the
bell housing and supported the engine.  The problem is, how do I get the
gearbox clear of the prop-shaft to pull it out?  The workshop manual states
I should lift the engine with the jack and wood block so the until the rear
flange  clears the shaft.  It would seem I have to put a fair amount of lift
on the sump to achieve this, is this right??

My second issue is when I cracked the seal between the bell housing and the
engine oil came out the bottom,  Since I am not loosing oil in the engine
 yes big surprise ), and the oil in the engine is new and fresh I suspect
that the oil is from the gearbox itself because it looked very dark and old,
which would explain a lot.  No 2nd gear, clutch not fully disengaging from
oil contamination etc.  How hard is it to replace the oil seal in the
gearbox?

As always thanks in advance

        David A. Templeton
        Open Text Corp.