RE: TR3b Water Pump

To: <KGeromini@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3b Water Pump
From: "Paul g. Wiegman" <pwiegman@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:41:09 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
I just did a TR3 and the pump Moss is sending doesn't need to have the
grinding done on the rear body of the pump, but you do need to grind the
front of the new house at a slight angle since the pulley will rub.  If the
bore in the old pulley is worn AT ALL, junk it and order a new pulley along
with the pump.  I didn't do that for three pumps and all three snapped a
shaft in about 4 months.  Remember that the load on that pulley is coming
from an angle and if the bore of the pulley is worn it will wobble and
finally break the shaft at the back of the threaded portion.

Moss notes in the catalogue that running the assembly for a short time
before you replace the water should break in the pump.  I didn't do that,
and I'm getting a slight whine from the pump.

I replaced the thermostat with one of the sleeved models offered by Moss and
the running temp is 10 degrees lower than before.

Paul g. Wiegman
1956 TR3
Glenshaw, PA