Best setup for 1147 with GT6 OD gearbox

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Best setup for 1147 with GT6 OD gearbox
From: SJagGo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 14:47:12 EDT
Greetings all:
As some of you may know, I purchased a professionally rebuilt GT6 OD gearbox
(d-type) thinking it was a Spit box.  I have plenty of spare tranny parts and
could replace the input shaft and bell housing without any problem.
Has anyone used this setup with an 1147 engine?  What type of rearend worked
best?  4.11?  3.89?  Did first gear suffer significantly?  I wouldn't have a
problem swapping all the flanges, etc., either.

Another question: Will the mainshaft of a GT6+ OD tranny fit the 3-rail 71-74
spitfire all-synchromesh gearbox? (I think it will).  I could also rebuild
one of these trannys using the OD parts from GT6+, and using the Spit
mainshaft to complete a regular GT6 box and them sell it.
What should I ask for a GT6 box with new layshaft, bearings, 3-4 hub gear,
1st gear, synchros, and seals?  How much if I left the OD in place?

Thanks,
Bill B