TR6 Oil pump specs

To: Scions of Lucas <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Oil pump specs
From: karen hakala & tim hutchisen <hakhutch@megalink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 19:59:52 -0500
Listers-
    I have an early TR6 oil pump that is border line within the specs
that the Bentley manual gives. The motor had 97,000 miles on it and is
now being rebuilt. Oil pressure before was 90-100 lb. cold and 50 lb.
hot with Castrol 20w50 oil. I have never had oil pressure problems.
    The oil pump is the early type with cast iron body and rectangular
pick up. There are no nicks or dings on the rotors and everything looks
good. The specs are.........
    Rotor to pump body- Maximum allowable (Bentley manual)= .010
actual= .006
     Outer rotor to inner rotor- Max. allowable=.001-.004  actual= .007
    Cover plate to rotor (end clearance)-Max allowable=.004  actual=.004

My question is , is there an advantage to the newer pump? Should my
existing pump be replaced given these specs? I don't want to cut
corners, but the project has reared it's ugly financial head, and I do
not want to spend $$$$ if it isn't needed. How many miles can I expect
this pump to go with new bearings and internals? Thanks in advance.
Tim Hutchisen
CC57787L 1971 TR6 in pieces for British Car week  :-(