RE: Locked Steering Problem

To: blhjr@amaonline.com
Subject: RE: Locked Steering Problem
From: Lee Daniels <DANIELS@tamu.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 8:37:33 -0500
Cc: DANIELS@tamu.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net

> ... 1970 Spitfire  ... Is there some
>way to easily (or otherwise) disable the locking steering column?

Brad:

It's been a while since I had a Spit, but at least on my '78 the steering
lock can be removed.  It will take some swearing, though...

Again, if it's like the later ones, the ignition module/steering lock is
held on by "Breakoffski" bolts (when installed, the bolt heads are designed
to break off so that they can't be removed).  So you must use a chisel to
cut a slot into the top of each bolt, then a screwdriver to back out the
bolts.

Or, if you'd rather spend the money, have a locksmith come out and make a
key on site! ($$$).

   Lee M. Daniels         Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
   triumph@tamu.edu                                 Texas A&M University
   '74 TR6  '88 XJ6                         http://acs.tamu.edu/~lmd1191