Re: Ailing 6

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ailing 6
From: levilevi@home.com
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 19:43:32 -0600
I don't think this got posted yesterday, so I thought I'd repost for
those who might benefit from one more idea to try when their TR6 has a
miss.

Do you have a Lucas rotor or an aftermarket rotor?  Does it fit tight on
the distributor shaft and I mean TIGHT, no play at all?  I had a similar
type of miss (mine also missed at idle) on hard acceleration and it was
the crappy loose fitting aftermarket rotor that I'd put on.  Put my old
tight fitting Lucas rotor on and no miss.  Credit goes to Roger Bolick
who told me to check the distributor to make sure there was watch like
precision in the ignition components...obviously the aftermarket rotor
didn't meet that standard.  I saw the same thing on another TR6 at our
Rocky Mountain Triumph Club tune-up session last Saturday only the owner
didn't have a spare Lucas rotor so we carefully "shimmed" the
distributor shaft with black electrical tape (trim it nicely so
the rotor sits down on the shaft all the way) and jammed the rotor on.
The car (with a Crane ignition BTW) quit missing and the owner swore
he'd order a Lucas rotor that afternoon.  Who says Joe Lucas never got
anything right?

Bud
TR6s
TR4As