'66 Spitfire in Austin, TX area

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: '66 Spitfire in Austin, TX area
From: Neil Penberthy <n.penberthy@liant.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:39:27 -0500
My wife recently discovered an old neglected 66  Spit for sale while out
looking at garage sales. More surprisingly perhaps she told me about it ;-)

I went and had a quick look at it and, sadly decided that I don't have the
time for another project. The TR6 project has been at a stand-still for far
too long as it is.

The car runs and drives under it's own power, although it has no brakes,
and needs a new battery. The interior is in need of complete replacement
and I suspect some parts are missing. The body work looks OK but I think
the panels are attached with a fair amount of bondo. The front of the hood
/ bonnet has a dent and the bumpers are beyond easy salvation, over riders
are missing. The motor sounded rough although held 40 psi at idle on the
aftermarket gauge, once warm . There is no overdrive. There was a continual
noise from the motor  I couldn't quite place, the water pump would be by
guess. Although currently in Texas it has seen use in the NE and has some
rust including the drivers floor which looked to me a little past a
fiberglass repair, although I'd be tempted to give it a try.

I don't claim to have given this car a thorough once over as it was clearly
too much for my time availability, as much as I'd like a round tail Spit
again. The owner was asking $750, but dropped to $600 easily. I expect it
would find a new home for $500 with a little haggling. I don't think it'll
ever be a concours candidate maybe it could be a tidy driver.

If anyone is interested I'll go and get he fella's phone number. I'd be
glad to look in more detail and do a compression check etc if anyone would
like me to, he is only a mile from my place.

Regards

Neil

'73 Triumph Spitfire MKIV RHD (UK model)
69 Triumph TR6 project