TR3 Upholstery and windshield

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Upholstery and windshield
From: Bob and Nancy <wises@mail.execpc.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:45:58 -0500
Triumphanias,

1.  I am undertaking the reupholstering of my 1961 TR3A seats with
rebuild kits from TRF.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom,
caution, or guidance.  My first, preliminary fitting is not
impressive.  Should I stretch, cuss, or add padding and if so, what
to use for padding?  Anyone done this recently?

2.  I am about to mount my windshield on my newly repainted TR3.  The
stanchions bolt directly to the body and I am afraid that vibration
and time will cause them to chip the paint.  Does anyone have any
ideas on how to prevent this?  A gasket perhaps?  Is there room
between the stanchion and the body for a thin gasket?

3.  OK, a bigger (much bigger) question.  I have a new set of 87 mm
pistons and sleeves, all the necessary gaskets, camshaft followers
(lifters), and a crank shaft rear oil seal conversion kit.  I guess
I'm ready to take them to a local machine shop and say, "So, you guys
know anything about 40-year old British engines?"  I would like them
to turn and polish the crank, check the connecting rods for
straightness, balance all the rotating parts, install new cam
bearings, and boil out the block.  What else should I have done?
Lighten the flywheel?  New clutch?  What camshaft recommendations are
there?  If I want to have the original cam reinstalled how do I get
ahold of original specs?  I doubt the local shop is going to have a
book that lists lift and duration for a 1961 TR3A.  I know the sky is
the limit as far as engine building is concerned, but what are some
reasonable guidelines for a pretty decent stock rebuild?

Bob
Carpe cervasium