RE: Triumph question

To: "'OHFASTONE@aol.com'" <OHFASTONE@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Triumph question
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 09:19:45 +0200
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Michael

I could only guess .

TR 3's and TR 4's are extremely scarce in South Africa and fetch very high
prices ( not that I wish to sell ) .
Spitfires and Heralds are not common ( found everywhere ) vehicles , but
there are a bit more of them and selling prices are naturally lower .
I would guess that we have approximately four TR 2 's , three TR 3's , six
TR 3 A's , five TR 4's , four TR 4 A's , twelve Heralds ( all models ) and
twenty to thirty Spitfires ( mostly Mk 3's ) left in South Africa . GT 6's
are also pretty scarce ( would guess about five ) . Saloons are more common
.
Most of the Triumphs have been exported to the UK , USA , Germany and the
rest of Europe . Parts cars are basically non-existent . One of the six TR 3
A's has been perfectly restored and is currently for sale at R 125 000,00 (
approx. $ 18 000,00 ) . It will most probably be exported . One of the five
TR 4's ( very bad shape , but running ) were sold for R 37 000,00 ( approx.
$ 6000,00 ) and exported to Germany .

On the negative side ( hope this doesn't sound too terrible ) , most , but
not all :-) , of the SA Triumph owners are rich / wealthy and snobbish
blokes ( usually from overseas ) that own their own companies in SA , and
therefore the camaraderie with and assistance to us ,( dare I say it common
/ poor / working class folk ) is basically non-existent .

-- Sorry for that , but I just had a bad experience in this regard again . I
politely asked an elderly UK gentleman if I could please drive the 200 Km to
his house when convenient to him , in order to view his TR 3 and possibly
take some photographs as I would like to compare my vehicle in order to
restore it to 100 % original condition . His short answer ... Sorry , I
suggest you buy a book ! .............. Sad , but true .

Enough of this negativity . At least my Triumph friends on the list are more
helpful . :-)

Kind regards

Chris de Wet
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa
One '56 TR 3 with o/d , two Heralds and four early Spitfires without o/d .
'65 TR 4 A IRS ( hopefully soon )
'28 Model A Ford Roadster ( hopefully soon )