Early TR6 PI Cam and Up to 2.5 litres

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Early TR6 PI Cam and Up to 2.5 litres
From: "JC" <jc@gt6.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 20:03:02 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi,

I culled this info from the *excellent* Service Notes I purchased through
the 2000/2500/2.5 Register.  The article I refer to, written by the guru
Chris Witor, has this to say about the TR5 / early TR6 cams:

Engine No CP******, cam 307689, Ring ID = 2 slim, timing = 35/65, lift =
0.250, outer spring = 102564, inner spring = 149633, collar = 149717, collar
height = 0.15.

The inner and outer springs, and the collar are all the same as the GT6 /
Vitesse.

Just for info:

Mk2 PI from MG75001, TR6 CR*****, 2500 TC 1974 MM1 - MM20000: cam 311399,
Ring ID = 3 slim, timing = 18/58, lift = 0.240, outer spring = 157229, inner
= 157476, collar = 157509, collar height = 0.275

If you have an original CP engine, you should have the TR5 cam.  If you need
any more info, email me offline with your engine number, and I'll look up
the details.  By the way, I highly recommend the Service Notes, even if you
don't own a big saloon.   Full of useful info.

P.S.  On the 2.5 conversion front:  The TT manual is right in recommending
the full swap, unless you have a late GT6 motor.  This lump uses the domed
pistons because the head is the 3.4" high version that is the same as the
2.5.  Earlier 3.3" heads (GT6 and Vitesse) were phased out in favour of more
widely employing the 3.4" head. So what?  Well, if you have an early 2 litre
lump, the crank, pistons (yep, these are different), pushrods and head are
all different fron the 2.5.  Easiest route?  Get a 2.5 lump with the late
(short-nose) crank.  Use the GT6 flywheel, sump, and engine front and back
plates.  Bolt together and fit.  Or, If you have a late Mk3 GT6 lump with
the domed pistons, get a new short -nose crank, a set of 2.5 flat-top
pistons and install.  At least the conrods are the same on all the motors!!

PPS  My 2.5 lump is still in bits under the stairs!!!!