Re: DCOE's on GT6's, was Dishwashing Carbs

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "William Hooper" <rotoflex@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: DCOE's on GT6's, was Dishwashing Carbs
From: "JC" <jc@gt6.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 19:14:37 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Hi all,

1.    I have a brand-new set of TriumphTune manifolds for my GT6.  These 3
pieces are stepped to allow bonnet clearance.  As long as the carbs are
mounted within about 5 deg to the horizontal (ISTR), the upslope of the
manifold shouldn't make too much difference.

2.    Thanks for all the comments rgds dishwashing carbs.  I had a
disappointing morning dismantling a 40 I just bought blind for 55GBP plus
postage.  Contrary to the description of "good condition", it seems this 40
has been through a blaster - there is a dark abrasive ferrous dust in the
innards!!!!!!!!  Every screw head is chewed up, and I wouldn't have thought
the innards have seen petrol for a looooong time!

Anyway, I spent some time this afternoon stripping it, prior to testing the
DW theory - not much to lose, I guess!

First off, I put the components into a pot full of boiling water and a
couple of "Persil" tablets.  Not only does this stuff work well on your
clothes, but it removed nearly *all* of the gunge - with the help of a
gentle toothbrushing.  Good start.  Into the DW, on a hot wash.  At the end
of the cycle, the bits were not really that much cleaner - shame.  So, one
last dunk in the "Persil" solution, a good rinse, and then 5 mins at gas
mark 2 to dry out (really)!  One really clean set of bits to rebuild - this
carb could have a new lease of life, yet.

3.  You know, the really sad thing about this saga is that I am still *very*
tempted to go the way of petrol injection - I have a contact who has already
offered me a full set of gear for a good price.  Of course, all the bits
will need rebuilding to unleaded spec with viton rubbers etc = more cash
out, and we're just about to start building our house!  Maybe I should
advertise the triple weber setup and jump in with both feet???  What do you
think - triple Webers or Lucas PI?

Result:  "Persil" beats dishwashing carbs anyday!

Jon