Rear end Oh-No!! Advice Needed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear end Oh-No!! Advice Needed
From: "Butch Lewis" <butchl@eudoramail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 14:27:50 -0700
Just when the weather got REALLY nice, the TR4 is down. I felt a clunk when I
turned into the driveway (thought I had run over a stone.) However, as I pulled
out into the road the next day, the car began to shudder as the speed increased
above 5-10 mph. I returned to the driveway and put the car onto jack stands. To
make a long story short, I can feel much too much play (lash) as I rotate the
driveshaft back and forth by hand. My guess is that I can even feel movement
between the pinion and crown gear and that they do not mesh properly. I plan to
pull the diff cover this week and have a closer look. Meanwhile, has anyone on
the list had experience replacing these parts? With the exception of the "case
spreader" (I had to see that in writing to believe it) I probably have access
to the tools. Am I better off looking for a used diff somewhere?

    butch
63 TR4