Re: Parts Survey

To: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Subject: Re: Parts Survey
From: Brian Furgalus <triumph.tr7@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 17:16:01 -0400
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Michael,

If these items became available, I'd buy them (and a Spitfire to put
them in) in a heartbeat!  I was doing some research into the
installation of a Datsun/Subaru rear diff in the spit (seems to be not
that difficult) and the Rover 5-speed (could work with some modification
to the chassis rails) when I was looking to buy my Triumph.  You would
probably have a heck of a time finding a 5-speed let alone a 6-speed
trans that would fit in-between the chassis rails without modification.
The Rover 5-speed (a-la TR7 5-speed) should be adaptable (the
bellhousing off the spit 4-speed could be made to fit, I was told).
Another possibility that I investigated was inserting an entire EFI TR7
engine and 5-speed into a Spit.  The slant-4 was installed in a
prototype Spit in the late '60's.  You can push the EFI slant-4 to
~110-115 hp. THAT would be fun!

I love talking about this stuff,
Brian
1981 TR7 DHC