Tappet noise, TR3

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tappet noise, TR3
From: "Mike Barron" <jmikebarron@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 00:57:05 GMT
It was a good weekend, 200 miles on the TR6 down to the farm and back, and
then about 50 miles on the "weenie" tooling down the back roads.  Very
seldom we get to excercise both of the cars in one weekend anymore.

Which brings a question.  In this day of almost silent engines, that old
four cylinder seems to make a lot of tappet racket.   Runs OK, if you
discount the rattling exhaust, but thats another story.  Those of you with
the four banger, is it a noisy engine?  Tough question, how about...Can you
hear the tappets over a strong exhaust note?, or....Sheesh!  Any opinions
would be greatly welcome.  Also, on an engine with proper clearances on the
rockers, what could make it noisy?

It's definately not a rod knock.  It is the valve noise that I hear, but
years of driving newer cars have got me a little befuddled.  Your reply is
greatly appreciated in advance.

Mike Barron
73 TR6
60 TR3