Question: TR3 steering

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Question: TR3 steering
From: Bob and Nancy <wises@mail.execpc.com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 21:25:37 -0500
I replaced the center tie rod assembly and both outer tie rod
assemblies on my 1961 TR3's steering today and ran across something
that puzzles me.  All of the tie rod ends are able to swivel in their
respective housings (common knowledge for anyone who has ever even
looked at a steering system).    However, the (rubber) bushes
(silentbloc, and pin assembly--P.N. 105063) at each end of the center
tie rod assembly are not designed to swivel.  Therefore, as one turns
to the right or left, those bushes are twisted quite significantly.
Can anyone explain to me the wisdom of such a system (if I have
understood and described it correctly)?

Bob

Carpe cervasium