Tappet Racket

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tappet Racket
From: "Mike Barron" <jmikebarron@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 02:15:19 GMT
Phil and Michael, thanks for your prompt reply.  My understanding is that
there is always some tappet noise, although at speed it is not so
noticeable.  This is true in my case, although I suspect that the wear
described in the rockers, etc. is present in my car.  When the engine was
overhauled, these, along with the other relavent items in the head were not
replaced, being in what was described good condition.

Can the rockers, lifters, etc. be replaced without removing the head?  Or is
this a job for super mechanic?  It looks fairly straightforward to me.....I
know this might be a long answer, so feel free to reply off list if you
think necessary.  One more question....How long should I wait, considering
that the car gets driven less than 200 or 300 miles per month?  All help is
really appreciated.