RE: Starter Ring Gear

To: "Michael Graham" <mgraham@achilles.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starter Ring Gear
From: "Bob Hutton" <bob@calc.com.au>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 12:35:23 +1000charset="iso-8859-1"
Mike,

It is backward for the type of starter used and yes, it should be reversed.
This engine was originally on the Standard Vanguard six. In that car I'm
sure they used the type of starter that had no solenoid and relied on the
spinning armature to wind in the starter gear from the end of the armature,
(the gearbox side of the flywheel ring gear). When the engine started and
the starter stopped, the gear was thrown back to the end of the armature.

Reversing the ring gear makes for much quieter starter engagement.

Regards,

Bob Hutton