RE: LBC Week...All Good News

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LBC Week...All Good News
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 14:43:20 -0700
Mark :

It's normal for the ceramic type automotive ballast resistor to get quite
hot (that's why they are cased in ceramic, which can take the heat, as
opposed to less expensive materials).

It's also certainly possible for them to be thermally intermittent, or fail
completely, but IMO it's not a common failure.

Randall

On Sunday, May 28, 2000 7:59 PM, Mark Stahlke [SMTP:mstahlke@inetdial.com]
wrote:

> Bill,
>
> I'm not sure I understand your comment about a "very hot piece of
porcelan"
> but if it refers to the temperature of the ballast resistor that may be a
> clue.
>
> Many years ago I had a Ducati with a hot ignition system that included a
> ballast resistor tucked up under the gas tank. Sometimes the bike would
die
> an ignition death. After an hour or so it would start again. If memory
> serves, the problem was eventually traced to the ballast resistor
> overheating.
>
> Is it possible for a ballast resistor to cease functioning due to heat?
Or