Re: What is this in my rear fender ?

To: "Beth & Ken" <bethken@erols.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What is this in my rear fender ?
From: Tom Beaver <beaver@spillmanco.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:43:23 -0500
At 07:33 PM 05/29/2000 -0400, you wrote:

>After removing the fuel tank on my 1970 GT6+ (to put on a new bumper) I
>found this "thing" stuffed inside my rear fender...the very rear of it. It's
>a rectangular, thin bag that has fabric sewn onto clear plastic with
>stuffing (looks like cotton batting) on the inside. My guess is that it's
>some kind of insulation for sound? What do you know about this thing?
>
>ken shapiro
>baltimore
>1970 GT6+ KC81872L

Ken

Here's my guess.

>From your description, it sounds like the  insulation material used in the
roof between the headliner and top. There are three of these. Feel the area
between the  metal rods that go across the roof holding the headliner in
place. You should be able to feel the pad if its there. I have no idea on
how this could end up in your fender if in fact that is what it is. Length
= width of top of interior. Width = Maybe  a foot.   My 73 had no
insulation like you described in the fender wells.

Tom Beaver
Indy