Re: compressor recommendations, anyone?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: compressor recommendations, anyone?
From: DRSkruffy@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 10:52:44 EDT
105671.471@compuserve.com writes:

<< The oil type compressors which are more traditional run at much slower
 speeds and hence are bigger pumps.  Most of these are belt drive and run
 under 1000 RPM.  But the lower speed means the noise is less and at a
 lower pitch.  The bigger pump also means better heat disipation and these
 pumps tolerate continous running better and last longer.  Of course one can
 manufacture even this style of compressor in a cheap manner that will fail
 in record time. >>

OK, I will split a few hairs too. I wasn't even considering oilless
compressors, but I can tell you that the compressors around 500 dollars run
at 3450 and the better ones  run at 1725, 1450, or thereabouts. I was told
that is how they can claim 5hp out of them is because they are doubling the
speed.