re: can't cure shimmy

To: <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Subject: re: can't cure shimmy
From: "Roy" <techman@metrolink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 13:34:35 -0400charset="Windows-1252"
Cc: <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Thom,

In the investigation to cure the shimmy, have you checked the condition of
your motor and transmission mounts and the drivetrain u-joints?

I have a diesel truck that has had a bad shimmy around 52-55 mph and seemed
to be worse when slowing down vs. speeding up or at constant speed. It went
on for several months, at times seeming to go away and at times seeming to
get real bad. I tried all kinds of wheel/tire balancing and stuff. I finally
discovered that the transmission mount was badly deteriorated. It is like a
motor mount, only bigger. It is a piece of rubber bonded to 2 metal plates.
The rubber was all crappy and separated from the plates. When it was
replaced, the ride was almost like new.

The bad transmission mount was not able to damp out and control the
vibrations that are created by the various stuff going on with the
drivetrain.

Roy
'60 TR3a TS63103LO (in restoration)
techman@metrolink.net