Re: TR4 - Top Fit Problems - tricks

Subject: Re: TR4 - Top Fit Problems - tricks
From: "steven@cravetechnology.com" <steven@cravetechnology.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:10:27 -0600
Brian Sanborn wrote:

> In the early spring I called the TRF tech line and was assured
> that I should just wait for a hot day in summer and stretch it a
> bit.  No amount of stretching on a 92 degree hot in the sun would
> result in gaining anything like an inch... maybe a 1/16 or an
> 1/8"  There is double material and a seam binding with a pocket
> for the metal band that slips inside... no room for stretching.

You may have resolved this already, another week of vacation and
I had 600 triumph msgs to read/delete. Yesterday I got the tonnoau...
(damn, just can't get that to look right <g>) cover on for the first
time.
All but the one snap on the very front of the driver's door. The PO
had installed the snaps, and he admitted he'd probably put them in
the wrong place -- and he had never got it all on for himself.

Anyway, the mechanic* who'd worked on the car, and got the old
AMCO top to fit again after years off the car, gave me a couple tips.

1. hose down some grass in a nice sunny place in the yard. Lay
the top/tawn-oh in the grass and have a beverage. Try to put it on.
[this worked for my tah-noh cover-thing.]

2. for recalcitrant tops, rent one of those steamers you use to take
off old wallpaper, and put in in the car, with the top on as much as
it'll go, park in the sun, keep stretching it over a couple days. [this
is apparently what he did for the old AMCO top -- and it's now
really easy to fit.] I guess you could use a household humidifier?
Use at your own risk, you might not want to humidify your car. <g>

*Joe Hamilton, Hamilton Motorsports in Houston. My apologies to
him if I've misremembered the details.

--
Steven Newell
Denver, CO